The Idles of March

Got back from the golf trip last Sunday evening. All plants were still alive. There must have been some thunderstorms while I was gone. The clocks were all showing different times. The lights were off over the little plants and apparently the only light they’d been getting for awhile was that of the south window I’d parked them in front of. They were all reaching across each other to get whatever light they could.



The running at the moment is shit. I hadn’t been out the entire week before I left for vacation. I consoled myself with the intention of putting in some good runs along Pensacola Beach ahead of my daily floggery. The weather the entire week was beautiful Sunny and 70s. A far cry from the monsoon that was last year’s golf trip. I did make it out for 5 miles on Monday. After that, nada.
Tuesday monrning I had the beginnings of a sore throat. I hoped maybe it was just some seasonal allergy manifesting itself in a little nighttime post nasal drip. That night before I went to bed I took a couple aspirin because I was having some body ache. When I crawled in bed I literally shook for several minutes with chills. It didn’t lessen the rest of the week. My voice was pretty much shot the whole time. I still trudged through 6 more rounds of golf Wed. thru Sat. Sunday I woke up with my eyes glued shut by whatever green gook was clogging my sinuses. They’ve been that way every morning since, though the gook appears to be clearing. The whites of my eyes were blood red that morning also. By the time I got home Sunday night, I was just flat done. Monday thru Wednesday were spent watching TV, movies or reading the internet through whichever eye was clear enough for me to see. I’d also been running a low grade fever the whole time. Finally I drug my ass into the doctor’s office Wed afternoon to see anybody willing to see me just to make sure there wasn’t something really wrong with me. He assured me he thought it was just a cold, but that some of the colds they’d been encountering the last couple years were sometimes taking 2 to 3 weeks to run their course. I also supposedly had a case of viral pink eye.
Today, Saturday, my eyes have whitened considerably. My head is still plugged, my throat is still sore but I feel better than last Saturday. I’d also had this past week off too and had hoped to get in some more of the running I hadn’t done the previous 2 weeks along with some chores and a little local golf. Didn’t happen. Vacation ends tomorrow. Have run once in the last 3 weeks. All that good running karma I’d accumulated in February is gone with the March winds.


  1. Um, you’re making Casa de Running Man sound oh so appealing.


    • I suck, therefore I am.

  2. The only benefit of being a hypochondriac is that I usually go to a doctor on the first or SECOND (ahem) day of my illness. I figure why suffer? Its bad enough having to watch the national news every night. Hope you’re feeling better soon though. And get your ass out running! I’ve already been walking 8-10 miles a week.

    • I always just go to the doctor as a last resort. Good job on the walking. Your Dr McDreamy will be pleased with you.

  3. Every day, glands in the lining of your nose, throat, airways, stomach, and intestinal tract produce about 1 to 2 quarts of mucus — a thick, wet substance that moistens these areas and helps trap and destroy foreign invaders like bacteria and viruses before they can get into your body and cause infection. Normally, you don’t notice the mucus from your nose because it mixes with saliva and drips harmlessly down the back of your throat to be swallowed gradually and continuously throughout the day.*

    Visit our very own blog too

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s